The focus of this meeting was to approve wording for the special election ballots about the Bond Referendum
From the Agenda:
Move on the recommendation of the Superintendent to approve the following resolution:
RESOLUTION PROVIDING FOR A SPECIAL SCHOOL DISTRICT ELECTION TO BE HELD ON MARCH 13, 2018 FOR CONSIDERATION OF A BOND PROPOSAL BY THE LEGALLY QUALIFIED VOTERS OF THE SCHOOL DISTRICT.
BE IT RESOLVED BY THE BOARD OF EDUCATION OF THE BOROUGH OF COLLINGSWOOD IN THE COUNTY OF CAMDEN, NEW JERSEY (not less than a majority of the full membership of the Board concurring) AS FOLLOWS:
- It is hereby determined that a bond proposal shall be submitted for voter approval at a special school district election to be held on March 13, 2018 between the hours of 6:00 a.m. and 8:00 p.m. as permitted and required by law. The form of the proposal shall read substantially as follows with such adjustments as may be provided by bond counsel:
The Board of Education of the Borough of Collingswood in the County of Camden, New Jersey is authorized: (a) to undertake various improvements and upgrades and to construct a new athletic complex with related site improvements and to construct an addition at the Middle/High School Complex and to provide for the rehabilitation of the playgrounds at Newbie Elementary School, Garfield Elementary School, Tatem Elementary School, Zane North Elementary School and Sharp Elementary School including related work, fixtures, furnishings, equipment and site work; (b) to appropriate $13,708,727 for such purposes; and (c) to issue bonds of the school district in the principal amount of $13,708,727.
The final eligible costs of the projects approved by the Commissioner of Education are $1,800,359 (with $1,500,359 allocated to Middle/High School Complex, $60,000 allocated to Newbie Elementary School, $60,000 allocated to Garfield Elementary School, $60,000 allocated to Tatem Elementary School, $60,000 allocated to Zane North Elementary School, $60,000, and $60,000 allocated to Sharp Elementary School). The proposed improvements include $8,980,308 allocated to Middle/High School Complex for school construction elements in addition to the facilities efficiency standards developed by the Commissioner of Education or not otherwise eligible for State support pursuant to N.J.S.A. 18A:7G-5(g). The State debt service aid percentage will equal 40% of the annual debt service due with respect to the final eligible costs of the projects. The Board of Education is authorized to transfer funds among the projects approved at this election.
2. This Board of Education hereby approves and adopts the proposal set forth above and, subject to the approval of the legal voters of the Collingswood school district, hereby determines to carry out the improvements described therein (the “Projects”).
3. This Board of Education hereby acknowledges and confirms that in accordance with N.J.S.A. 18A:24-16 and 18A:24-17 the supplemental debt statement has been prepared by the chief financial officer of the Borough of Collingswood (the “Borough”), giving effect to the proposed authorization of bonds of the school district in the maximum amount of bonds authorized in the proposal. The supplemental debt statement has been filed in the office of the Borough Clerk and in the office of the Business Administrator/Board Secretary of this Board of Education prior to the adoption of the proposal and will be filed in the office of the Director of the Division of Local Government Services in the Department of Community Affairs prior to the date of the special election.
4. The Business Administrator/Board Secretary is hereby authorized and directed to send a certified copy of the proposal to the County Clerk as required by N.J.S.A. 19:60-2, to request the County Clerk to submit the proposal to the voters at the special school district election and to seek the assistance of the county officials and municipal clerk in conducting the special school district election.
5. The Board of Education hereby acknowledges receipt of the Preliminary Eligible Costs (PEC) letters for the Projects from the Department of Education. The Board hereby elects to receive debt service aid pursuant to Section 9 of the Educational Facilities Construction and Financing Act, N.J.S.A. 18A:7G-1 et seq. (the “Act”). The Board has determined to accept the preliminary eligible costs determined by the Department of Education as final eligible costs and not to appeal the determination of preliminary eligible costs. The Business Administrator/Board Secretary is authorized, if necessary, to notify the Department of Education of the Board’s election with respect to the eligible costs and its election to receive debt service aid.
6. Garrison Architects, the School District’s appointed architect for the Projects (the “Project Architect”), has heretofore been authorized and delegated the responsibility to prepare the plans and specifications for the Projects in consultation with and under the supervision of the Business Administrator/Board Secretary, who has heretofore been delegated the responsibility to work with the Project Architect for this purpose on behalf of the Board of Education, in accordance with the requirements of N.J.S.A. 18A:18A-16, and such authorizations and delegations are hereby reconfirmed.
7. The educational plans, where required, and the schematic plans for the construction of the Projects have heretofore been approved by this Board of Education, and such approval is hereby reconfirmed.
8. The Board President, the Superintendent of Schools, the Business Administrator/Board Secretary, the Project Architect, Bond Counsel and other appropriate representatives of the Board of Education (the “Board Representatives”) have heretofore been authorized, and such authorization is hereby reconfirmed, to submit the educational plans, where required, and the schematic plans for the Projects, together with such other information as may be required, to the State Department of Education for approval and to make application to the Commissioner of Education for approval of the educational plans, where required, the schematic plans and the Projects and, if necessary, any required amendment to the long-range facilities plan, in accordance with the requirements of the Act and N.J.A.C. 6A:26-2.1(f), 6A:26-2.3, 6A:26-3.1 and 6A:26-3.2.
9. The Board Representatives have heretofore been and are hereby further authorized and directed to submit the plans and any other required information to the Planning Board and the Department of Environmental Protection for review and comment, if necessary, and such authorization and direction are hereby reconfirmed.
10. The Board Representatives are hereby authorized to take all steps necessary to implement this resolution. Any actions authorized herein and taken prior hereto are hereby ratified. The Business Administrator/Board Secretary is further authorized to act on behalf of the Board of Education to make such determinations required of the Board of Education for the conduct of the election as may become necessary.
- We can expect to see a statement from the district about protests, vigils, etc coming from the district soon in relation to the student movement for safety in schools after the school shooting in Florida.
- There was not a text message or email distributed to announce tonight’s meeting.
- There was an attendee that commented that they are a parent of students involved with the Marching Band. The marching band does a lot of fundraising work and pointed out how the funds are being directed at improvement for sports rather than the arts programs at the schools with the Bond Referendum.