Items on this meeting’s agenda under the Board’s new format The Committee of the Whole
The board members received training from Jesse Adams on Board Ethics.
The Board saw a short presentation from the Supervisor of Buildings and Grounds, Al Hird. The board then discussed the options for repair, demolition, and the need to revisit a Bond Referendum at a later date.
There was a short public comment section from residents
The entire agenda from the Collingswood BOE boarddocs:
Board Meeting Highlights
Ethics Training Highlights
- The board should be careful when exercising their First Amendment Rights while sitting on the board
- Private action may be brought against the board
- Public comment is not to be a Q&A or a debate according to this code of ethics
- The SEC website was recently updated after a time of not having enough seats filled under the Christie administration.
- More information at https://www.njsba.org/
Stadium Discussion Highlights
- The Borough of Collingswood should be involved with the attempt at a new Bond Referendum
- The capital reserve can be used for repairs like this, any unused funds may be returned to the reserve.
- Making buildings accessible, while getting us closer to equity between the buildings, will be expensive to attempt.
- Youth football currently has no other place to play but at the high school
- Cost for the demolition of the structure is estimated at $500,000 from the Garrison presentation
- The estimated cost of reinforcement from Buildings and Ground is $250,000 repair is $1.4 million
- A decision was reached before the end of the meeting: To pull $750,000 from the Capital Reserve to either be used in the repair or demolition of the grandstands- to be looked at once more information can be gathered.
Public Comment Highlights:
- More funds should be invested in the Middle School theatre
- There is a need for more responsible use of funds
- A resident requested access to the data/ results of the World Cafe Meetings that took place before the first attempt at the Bond Referendum
- A suggestion of the use of Oaklyn‘s fields should be part of the method toward stadium repairs/ replacement
- A question as to why this needs to go to a vote was proposed by another resident.
- Why is Garrison our architect of record?
- Questions about the relationship with the Borough.
- A request for the repair or replacement of the sign at Garfield Elementary.