Items on this meeting’s agenda included the Board’s new format The Committee of the Whole and a Regular Board of Education Meeting
- The board members discussed the Building Equity Book
- The Board saw a presentation from the Superintendent Dr. Oswald that was made in collaboration with the Supervisor of Buildings and Grounds, Al Hird. The board then discussed the options for repair, demolition, and the need to revisit a Bond Referendum at a later date.
- the SSDS- student safety data system report from Mr. Yamamoto
- Updated Budget Presentation
- future dates and misc
- routine board business
- annual appointments and approvals
- the superintendent report
- business admin/ board secretary report
- buildings grounds and finance committee statement
- curriculum committee statement
- personnel committee statement
- policy and miscellaneous
- There were 2 public comment sections from residents
- The Enrollment Report was also shared with attendees
The entire agenda from the Collingswood BOE boarddocs:
Board Meeting Highlights
Meeting of The Whole
- The members of the board were lead in a discussion by Regan Kaiden.
- Dr. Oswald gave examples of how attendance could be an issue of equity
- Discussion if school rules and punishments/ consequences can be equitable and fair.
Stadium Presentation Highlights
- Option 1- $250,000 reinforcement of the grandstands
- Option 2- 1.4 million- repairs
- Option 3- another Bond referendum
- price and plan would be TBD
- Option 4– This plan’s project is estimated at $517,000 + soft costs. Ongoing cost is $13,000/yr
- There will probably be additional costs due to hazards from older construction standards and environmental hazards. Possible costs and hazards associated with finding asbestos or lead paint. The reserved amount is $750,000 to address those possibilities.
- Seating would be for 500 spectators.
- Seating plan will be TBD for graduation. (Answered in Public Comment)
- BOE plan for the stadiumNow—prepare bid documents and install temporary fencing to keep people out
May—approve out to bid
Late July-October—demolish and remove grandstands/utilities
Install smaller bleachers ($100,000), secure portable bathrooms ($7,000 per year), storage lockers ($6,000 per year), concrete path to be ADA compliant ($10,000, optional)
Budget Presentation Highlights
Repair to Garfield windows and window lintels may be delayed due to the expense of the stadium repairs.
Public Comment Highlights:
- On district website there is a “contact us” section that is a preferred method of asking questions.
- There are concerned members of CEAG about the quality of Breakfast at the Bell- another request for the district to adopt “Share Tables” in all if the schools are encouraged.
- Asking for more information about why Homeschooled Students are not allowed to access extracurricular activities
- (In Reference to training at the 4/23/18 meeting of the committee of the whole) Why would 1st amendment rights be sacrificed when BOE members take office? Rulings state that disclaimers are needed, but not all free speech needs to be relinquished.
- The Structural Report of the stadium that was from 2014 has different costs- the board will address this question once the public commenter reaches out to the board via the contact form on the district website.
- Reduced seating in the plan that seems like the district’s best option (currently 4,000 seats- to be reduced to 500) will impact the marching band annual competition that is usually hosted at Collingswood.