Items on this agenda included an update on the expansion of the district’s preschool program, goals of the district to improve equity, a presentation from the Tatem Elementary PTA about their outdoor classroom, and an update on the district’s literacy curriculum strategies.
The entire agenda from the Collingswood BOE boarddocs: http://www.boarddocs.com/nj/colps/Board.nsf/goto?open&id=B4ZJ444B4B1B
Committee of the Whole Insights
- The preschool grant, which allows Collingswood preschool families to take advantage of free preschool education.
- There was also a conversation about the need to address the disparity in hiring teachers who will better represent our student body racially.
Board Meeting Highlights
Tatem’s PTA is presenting their outdoor space beautification project. The presentation details can be seen here: Tatem.Outdoor.Classroom
- The outdoor learning space would include habitat elements
- The budget was $1250 – with $500 as part of the initial spend.
- The PTA is working to ensure a good future for the project with incoming families for the committee.
- Clinton Connor brought up an interesting idea of streamlining outdoor improvements as an attempt to improve equity across all of the schools.
Ms. Jennifer McPartland and Mr. David Olivieri will present the K-12 Literacy presentation.
- Grades 6-12 are undergoing a reorganization and refining their efforts
- Cross-curricular content areas are being looked into as well
- FastBridge is being used as a screening tool
- Illuminate is a standards-based assessment tool
- Fundations is the program being used in grades K-1
- All is being done with Balanced Literacy in mind
- Tier II – extension – is being done with additional support for students who need reinforcement
- RACE writing method is being used with different focus each month
- Literacy ties in with other academic goals
- In secondary, the standards are designed to provide greatest potential for growth in PARCC
- Grade 9 is working toward helping students create Thesis Statements
- Grade 10 is Deciphering Meaning through text
- Seniors have a research project referred to as “Capstone”. This is a waterfall type project that involves a topic of the student’s choice.
AP students do not complete the Capstone project, but are regularly doing similar projects.
Tutoring time is before school, during lunch, or after school – The tutoring time is designed to work with the student’s schedule
Slides from the Presentataion:
Policy and Miscellaneous
There was an expected update about the Outdoor space ad hoc committee (listed on the agenda) but there was no announced change or update at this meeting.
Working on a standardized report card between the schools
Important Upcoming Dates
|10/22/18-10/26/18||HS Spirit Week|
|Thurs, 10/25/18||HS All Hallows Read – LMC Classroom – 2:30pm-3:30pm|
|Thurs, 10/25/18||Equity Committee Meeting – LMC – 6:30-8:30pm|
|Fri, 10/26/18||HS Spirit Week Pep Rally – HS Gym – 1:00pm-2:00pm|
|Sat, 10/27/18||Garfield Zombie Chase Run – 8:30am-9:30am|
|Wed, 10/31/18||Elementary Schools Only; Early Dismissal for Halloween – 2:00pm Dismissal|
|Sat, 11/3/18||HS SAT’s|
|Wed, 11/7/18||Early Dismissal for Students – Staff PLD|
|Wed, 11/7/18||MS/HS End of 1st Marking Period|
|Wed, 11/7/18||HS Homecoming Dance – HS Café – 7:00pm-9:00pm|
|Thurs, 11/8/18||School Closed – Fall Break – NJEA Convention|
|Fri, 11/9/18||School Closed – Fall Break – NJEA Convention|
|Wed, 11/14/18||Zane North Barnes & Noble Night and MOD Pizza Night|
|Fri, 11/16/18||MS/HS Report Card Distribution|
|Sat, 11/17/18||PTA Fitness Fest at CHS|
|Mon, 11/19/18||BOE Meeting – 6:30pm – Zane North All Purpose Room|
Public Comment Highlights
- A resident is concerned about equity between the schools as there is a noticeable difference between them.
- This person also asked the board referring to the literacy initiatives about the benchmarks being used in student improvement
Kate Delany invited the board and attendees of the meeting to the BOE candidate forum, which is being hosted by the CEAG on 10/30/2018 at Good Shepherd Cafeteria.Please do not forget to attend or watch the next Collingswood Board of Education meeting on November 19, 2018 at 6:30 pm at Zane North School.
What do you think? Please share your thoughts below in the comments.