This special meeting of the Collingswood Board of Education was to vote on the placement for the district’s first year of free public preschool at Sharp Elementary school and the Oaklyn Junior High School building. The board discussed the issues surrounding placement for the district’s first year of public preschool, the communication sent to caregivers, and the challenges with finding acceptable space for the program. Caregivers shared their frustration of unclear communication and the board shared their ideas for the next steps.
The Full Agenda May Be Found Here: http://go.boarddocs.com/nj/colps/Board.nsf/goto?open&id=BDYGM9446E69
Committee of the Whole and Public Comment Highlights
There was no official Committee of the Whole Section, but there was a lot of early discussion during the meeting that was not included in the Agenda Outline that I will include in this section since the Board members did respond to public comments.
This section of the agenda is where the video starts. Superintendent Oswald spoke to his efforts of getting the program placed within the town to be convenient for residents, but the issues that arose with trying to secure the space and get approval from the NJ State Board of Education.
The district is trying to get the preschool program open for this year. The administration from the state has been making the kickoff of the program difficult.
Residents are feeling frustrated about the current situation and lack of explanation in a communication sent from the district the day before. Document Linked: A copy of the email received by caregivers of incoming preschool students prior to this special meeting.
Document Linked: Guidelines for Preschool Facilities from the NJ BOE
Buildings, Grounds & Finance Committee Highlights
- The Collingswood Board of Education approved that three classrooms in the Oaklyn School located at 136 Kendall Boulevard will be repurposed for Pre-K classroom use.
- The Board approved the motion that The Collingswood Public School District no longer wishes to pursue the First United Methodist Church of Collingswood pre-kindergarten project and lease
- The Board approved a motion that The Oaklyn Public School District would like to discontinue the Central Office Project (Project Number 07-3770-050-18-2000) which was to be office space for the Board and Superintendent.
- The Board approved the in-classroom bathroom waiver so that the restroom facilities for the preschool program will be located across the hall, in the same wing of the school.
- All items passed unanimously.
The next scheduled Board of Education Meeting is on Monday, August 26, 2019 at 6:30pm at Zane North Elementary School in the All-Purpose Room
This post was made live on this website on 7/24/2019 and has been post-dated to the meeting date for archive purposes.