This meeting of the Collingswood Board of Education focused on improvements in Communication, Equity, Facilities Plan, the risk of Mercury exposure in gym floors, the ballot question for Mental Health Services in November 2019, and questions about the district’s Equity Committee.
Click here for the Agenda
Committee of the Whole Highlights
The district is working on improving
- Facilities Plan
Main areas of focus will be
- Mental Health
- Education Foundation for fees
- Organization at the Elementary Level
First Policy Readings
No First Policy Readings
Second Policy Readings
No Second Policy Readings
The bid sheet for the road work in Knight Park may be seen here:
The district will be conducting a demographic study, the cost will be $18,700
Other Agenda Highlights
Annual HIB Self-Assessment Report. The results may be found here: https://go.boarddocs.com/nj/colps/Board.nsf/files/BF8NAL5EBEC8/$file/Colls%20Annual%20HIB%20Self%20Aug%202019%20pdf.pdf
Mercury in Gym Floors
- The district had installed a hardwood floor on top of this surface in 2017. The district did tests on the floor and air quality in April 2019
- The core sample did test positive for Mercury- it is dangerous when it becomes airborne.
- Air quality were taken in typical conditions and did the test again when it was hot and humid- with no air movement (done during August)
April- air samples: None Detected
August- air samples: None Detected
- There is no anticipated change in condition of the floor. There is expected ongoing testing (next test in the fall – October). There will be a need for remediation at some time.
- Another solution could be adding air conditioning to help keep the risk low.
The testing specialist thinks that air movement will be more of an ongoing care rather than temperature along with ongoing testing.
Moving Forward, options presented included:
- Replace all of the flooring (most expensive)
- Air condition the gym to reduce risk
- Leave floor as-is, continue to ventilate, and commit to intermittent testing 2-3 times per year under a variety of conditions (typical hottest conditions, most use, etc)
Public Comment Highlights
- A member of the public is asking about the district’s Technology policy. Specifically when there will be an update- last seen update was in 2012.
- A resident asked about the Equity Committee, when the groups will be reactivated for the school year. They also asked about the pending public question on the November Ballot.
- Another member of the public asked if the Equity Committee will be able to accept information that had been worked on over the summer soon since the recommendations have been worked on.
These notes are post-dated. This page first appeared on Collingswoodeducation.org on 10/30/2019